Sunday, December 13, 2009

Other Christmas Fun

The month of December is filled with so many fun activities that uplift the spirit and bring Christmas cheer. Here are a few that we have enjoyed this month: Yesterday JARED (and the kids) set up this mini town (more people, animals and buildings were added after this picture) with 2 train sets, the kids' Little People toys and a Bertie the Bus set. Jared's favorite part was connecting the bus track with the Racing Ramps Garage, so the bus did 360s on it route around town. It provided many hours of enjoyment (and a good break from studying for finals).

On Tuesday night we attended the Men's BYU Basketball game. We arrived early to get free T-shirts (Nathan refused to wear his since he didn't want to cover his "Y Cougar shit") and cheered the cougars on. The kids' favorite parts are the pregame hype and running and climbing on the bleachers during the game.
We attended the Living Nativity at the Provo Tabernacle again this year. It is put on by a local stake and they do an excellent job. Nathan wasn't up for sitting through it, so Jared took him out to see the animals (pictured below), run around and eventually go to get ice cream. Why did he have so much time to kill? Because Brielle INSISTED on watching ALL THREE showings that evening. We went to the 6:30 showing in order to get the kids to bed at a decent hour, but the announcer made the mistake of stating that another showing would start in 10 minutes at the end of each showing. When Brielle heard that, she refused to leave. By the end she knew which direction to look before each scene started. The most special part was that Mary and Joseph would bring Baby Jesus for us to see since we were sitting on the 2nd row. There was a sweet spirit there and it reminded us of the true meaning of Christmas.

Outside there was a camel, donkey (pictured), goat and sheep for the kids to meet and pet.Briellie in front of the beautiful tabernacle as we wait for Dad and Nathan to get back from the "ice cream shop" to pick us up. Every Tuesday morning we join other MBA spouses and their children at a local rest home to sing children's songs and read stories with the residents. This month we have been doing fun Christmas songs.
Nathan the reindeer
The rest home singers (plus some) gathered at the Tanner building to bring Christmas treats and cheer to their dads during a class break. So fun!Jared's solution when Nathan needed a drink but "can't reach!!" Brielle has been our official Christmas decorator this year. She decorated (then UNdecorated and REdecorated) the Christmas tree...bows and all. And she LOVED unwrapping most of my nativities (I collect them...that is my favorite part too!) and setting them up. I was touched by her arrangement of the characters. In each setting, Baby Jesus was in the center and all the other figures formed a tight circle around Him so each person could see Baby Jesus. I love seeing the world and the gospel through the eyes of my children. I learn so much. I pray that we can all focus that intently on putting Christ in the center of our lives during this Christmas season and all year long.

5 comments:

Kay Hinton said...

Loved, loved, loved this post. I loved that Jared built a village, I loved that Brielle wouldn't leave the nativity, I loved that Nathan wouldn't put on the new shirt, and I loved how Brielley arranges nativities.What a sweet Christmas post.

Kay Hinton said...

Oh, and I loved Jared's creative solution to the water fountain reaching problem . . .forgot that one.

CL said...

So much fun. We miss Jamestown. We also miss the live nativity- halrious that she wanted to stay for all the shows- but so sweet.

Michelle said...

I'm crying. Brielle's nativity arrangement touched me, too. What a sweet little spirit. And how cute that she didn't want to leave the nativity! She must have felt something there! SO sweet. It ended up being a girls and boys night out; perfect! Oh, they are growing up! I really appreciate these pictures and stories that keep us connected even though we are far away!

Shonna said...

Michelle's not the only one crying, how sweet. She's such a tender, thoughtful little girl. I also love the "can't reach" picture, very ingenious (is that the right word?).