Monday, January 25, 2010

Fun FHE Food

We had a blast tonight making funnel cakes as a family for our Family Home Evening treat. The kids helped make the batter and then Dad was in charge of creating fun, made-to-order funnel cake designs. Brielle was blessed with her Father's creativity in coming up with fun shape ideas. We enjoyed eating the following funnel cakes:
  • 2 snowmen (the 3 circles that Dad made at the first snowman request didn't suffice, so he got to make another one)
  • A heart
  • A shooting star
  • A snowflake
  • And a messy hair dayWe all LOVED them...especially Nathan and I. I was surprised with how good they tasted. Food made with a lot of oil often makes me sick, so I have that to look forward to, but it was so worth it. :) (Now I know why my Grandmother would eat chocolate even though it would give her a migraine. Sometimes it is just worth it.)The apron is stuck.Nathan's spontaneous story-time..."Jesus, noi, noi, noi, noi, noi." I wonder if that is how I sound to him.

Thank you to my sister-in-law, KaraLynne, for the fun FHE idea and recipe. Here is the recipe in case you want to join in the fun:

1 egg
2/3 cup milk
2 T sugar
1 1/4 c flour
1/4 t salt
1 t baking powder

Start heating oil in large deep skillet (about 1/2 inch of oil). Mix dry ingredients. In another bowl beat egg and milk together then add dry ingredients. Mix until smooth. The batter is a little thicker than pancake batter. Put in ziploc bag and cut off the corner to make a squeeze hole.

The oil is hot enough when a pinch of flour sizzles right away but doesn't smoke. Squeeze batter in web/lattice design, working from the inside to the outside. Cook until golden brown and flip. Cook the other side until golden brown. Drain for a few minutes on a paper towel. Then put it on a plate and smother it with powdered sugar. Enjoy.

6 comments:

Kay Hinton said...

Looks like a very fun FHE. You can just see the joy and excitement in the kids' faces. Nathan's teeth and mouth look fine. I'm glad he's okay.

Kay Hinton said...

Oh, and I love Nathan's story. That's my favorite scripture story.

Joy said...

We will have to try making the cakes--sounds yummy!! As for Breanna's hair we love it short. No more complaining when we have to do her hair!!

KaraLynne and Andy said...

Yeah - Im glad you liked them and that they had fun making them. What lucky kids to have such a talented dad as that to make shapes with it. I dont think I could do that - All i could barely manage was a huge spider nest design.

Joan Morris said...

Kristen, you are so creative and such a cute Mom. Funnel cakes are quite the hit at the Western Idaho State Fair, maybe Jared could set up a booth next year :)

Perfectly Imperfect said...

fried and frosting - two of my favorites!