Experience #1:
Background: Both Jared and I have recently had a little bug (or something) that has caused us to have a headache every day for several days. Yesterday evening we had the following interaction:
Brielle: "Mom, my head hurts."
Mom (assuming she has what we have had): "Oh, I'm sorry. Let's finish this book and we will go and get you some medicine."
Nathan (from the corner of the room where he is playing between the couch and the wall with toys): "My back hurts. My back hurts."
Nathan climbing out from behind the couch: "My nose hurts. My head hurts. Mom, I need some medicine. My head hurts. I need some medicine."
Dad (finally registering what Nathan is saying/doing): "Does your arm hurt too?"
Nathan: "Yep. I need some medicine."
Dad explains that medicine is only for times when we really need it and offers him a piece of candy instead.
Today:
Nathan: "Mom, I want some candy. (pause) My back hurts and my head and my leg. I need some candy."
Experience #2
Background- One of Brielle's favorite bedtime stories is to have Mom or Dad tell her all about when she was born. So, in those retellings she has been told about how we wanted to have a child for a long time and finally after a special fast and lots of prayer we found out that we were going to have a baby and that we were really happy. Recently we told her that a friend of ours is expecting a baby:
Brielle: "How did she get a baby in her tummy?"
Mom: "Ummm." (How do you explain THAT to a very inquisitive four-year-old?)
Brielle: "Did they pray for a long, long, long, long time?"
8 comments:
Sounds like good reasoning to me! Cute stories.
SOOOO cute! Is Nathan speaking in full sentences?
~Shonna
I Love the logic of preschoolers. I also love the sidebar conversation you had with Brielle about the color of bones. One of Palmer's school friends told Palmer he was jealous because Palmer is black and white and is like a zebra, which he thought was very cool. :-) I love their sweet innocence.
When you used "child" and "reasoning" in the same title I was skeptical, at best. But now that I have read it - I say, if it works... MY HEAD HURTS MY LEG HURTS MY ARM HURTS MY BACK HURTS MY TUMMY HURTS MY FOOT HURTS MY HAND HURTS MY KNEE HURTS (I am about out of parts) Can I have a piece of candy too? And yes, Brielle, that is EXACTLY how a baby gets there - isn't it? I'm sure. If it's not - please don't tell me...
I can't stop laughing. Next time I want candy I know what to say to Brian.
Those are great stories!!!
It sounds like Brielle's follow up question about praying a long time saved you a conversation with her that you probably wanted to postpone a few more years. Way to dodge that bullet. :) I love the stories. Where are you updates by the way ? I need my Kristen family fix and its been weeks!
I love you blog and was happy to visit it again. I loved seeing your Christmas slide show. (Will ya teach me when you get here?) The BYU blanket and scrapbook and scarf gifts were so great.
Post a Comment