Monday, February 28, 2011

Healthy Snacks...Any ideas?

So, Jared tricked me...just a bit. Our Family Home Evening lesson this week was on keeping our bodies healthy and the Word of Wisdom. As part of the lesson, he asked each of us what we do well in our efforts to stay healthy. Then he asked what we don't do as well. I honestly and innocently answered that I eat too many sweet things. Well, our answers to the second question became our goals for the month of March...I will be trying to avoid sugary snacks. I have felt I needed to do this for quite a while, but honestly, when I am stressed or having a hard day, a little (or a lot...hmm) of sugar is a release for me. So, here is where you come in. What healthy snacks do you love? I am going grocery shopping later this week and want to stock up on some healthier snack food options. Thanks in advance for your ideas. I am excited to start eating better!

8 comments:

Heather - said...

I tend to crave salt, not sugar, but if you crave sweets, an obvious healthy option is fruit. Buy lots and lots of fruit! To make it more fun, try to buy varieties that you've never tried before.

Melissa Giles said...

Fruit leather is good, cheese sticks, peanut butter or cheese with celery, yogurt (plus this has protein that helps you not crave sugar...), unsalted nuts, and as always fruit!!
Good for you, I'm trying to eat healthier too.

triciathomas said...

I eat kettle corn the fat free kind and it takes the edge off is cheap and my kids love it too! I also buy those Special K bars and eat those in the afternoon when I need a snack.

Jenny said...

I really like Lara Bars. You can find them at Wal-Mart in the section with the nutrition bars by the pharmacy, in Woodmans in the organic section and at Festival in the organic section. They are super delicious and come in many flavors. My favorites include cashew cookie (simply made with dates and cashews), lemon (made with dates, cashews and lemon juice, and peanut butter chocolate chip (made with dates, peanuts and chocolate chips). They are about $1 each (Woodmans and Walmart vary on who is cheapest).

Bolthouse is a juice in the produce section of Woodmans that comes in many flavors too and is very yummy and sweet. It is across from the apples.

Kettle corn is a favorite of mine too.

Hope that helps and Good Luck!!

Sarah said...

Toss chickpeas with a bit of EVOO and garlic salt and roast until crunchy. Those will fill you up fast. Triscuits. Dried cherries from costco. Apples. Those are my goto snacks. Good luck. I really need to kick the sugar habit too. You could try the healthy choice fudgecicles to wean you. They use a sugar substitute.

Shonna said...

Sarah's comment reminded me of making hummus.
1 can of chick peas, drained & rinsed
1/2 cup oil (olive and vegetable mix)
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 cloves of garlic (or 1/4 tsp garlic powder)

Put it all in a blender and blend well. Serve with sliced pita bread or flour tortilla lightly fried with olive oil.
You can spread it on bread, crackers, or a tortilla/pita. And smoothies are another very healthy snack. Blake made us one the other day w/ 3 or 4 fruits and some steamed carrots and a handful of spinach. It wasn't as sweet as just fruit, but it still tasted yummy. Good luck. Oh, I also get the Great Value brand of V8 and try to drink a glass a day. But I really like the stuff, most people don't.

Krystal Trapnell said...

I love string cheese with Triscuits. I also love yogurt with granola. But sometimes a great apple is the best snack when I need something sweet.

Shonna said...

I thought of another snack I've been eating a lot lately. It's not necessarily sweet, but healthy and yummy. A spinach wrap. I just put in whatever I have: spinach, cut up a carrot, mandarin oranges, dried cranberries, string cheese cut up, any dried fruit pieces. Then put your favorite viniagrette on it. If you don't have any I love to sprinkle a bit of red wine vinegar and balsamic vinegar along w/ a little olive oil. Then sprinkle on a bit of dried basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Enjoy!