Sunday, June 19, 2011
Quiet Moments
The year after I have a baby is always really hard for me. My thyroid goes skeewampus and due to the effects of that mixed with the responsibilities of being a mother I struggle emotionally. Some weeks are harder than others and I celebrate the days when I feel good. I have found things that help, regular exercise being one of the best. But recently, in casual conversation, a friend gave me another tip that has added an extra measure of joy into each day. Due to recent changes and added responsibilities, she and her husband have been feeling extra stress and demands on their time. As we were talking about this, she mentioned to me how she just keeps feeling like the most important thing she can be doing is to play with her children every day. In the busy schedules of my life, so often that important "task" gets swept aside to "do later." After that conversation, I decided to do better and try to spend some one on one time with each child each day. Some days I do it. Hooray! Some days I don't get it "done." But, still, I am doing better. I have been amazed at how those quiet moments have cheered and uplifted me...especially on the harder days. In an effort to "fill the buckets" of my children, they have filled mine. Hearing Jacob's delightful giggle when I tickle him, seeing Brielle's triumph as she answers a hard Brainquest question, and witnessing Nathan's smile as we color side by side has filled me with peace and joy. I am grateful for these simple, tender moments in life. They really are what matter most. (I love this video as it captured this principle for me.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
13 comments:
Totally having one of those days and really needed to hear this- thanks for sharing!!! Hope ya'll are having a fun summer!
I think you do a marvelous job. You amaze me in your patience and in the fun you always have with your kids. You are definitely doing what matters most.
I love this Kristen. You inspire me to want to be a better mom!
Thank you for sharing. :) Being a mom is the hardest job there is, but so rewarding. I hope you continue to feel more and more joy. :)
I'm sorry to hear about your skeewampus thyroid. Thank you for sharing that video. I absolutely LOVED it. I have been thinking a lot about this very thing - of trying to spend the time playing/laughing with my children. I can get so busy with my "to do" lists, which are good things, but I have to ask myself, are they really "what matter most?" Thank you for sharing yours and your friend's experience with taking the time to play with each child.
You have always been a wonderful friend and I know you are being a wonderful mother!
That is a great idea. I hope your thyroid gets back to normal very soon. You have such cute, wonderful kids; I'm sure you treasure each moment w/ them. ;)
Ummm, you are pretty much the best "bucket filler" that I know, if that makes any sense. You fill mine every time I get to talk to or email you! I'm sorry that darn thyroid is struggling. You and that video put it so beautifully: treasuring those little moments can add so much joy to life! Kids grow up so quickly, and it is HARD to love the time that you are in, but SO worth it. It's funny, of all people to be saying that you struggle with this . . . you are one of the best that I know at building others up! Thanks for a little boost/reminder!
What a wonderful end to one of my "harder to focus on what matters most" days. Thanks for being such a great mom and for sharing such inspirational yet down to earth experiences on your blog. I love you! I hope you feel more yourself soon.
So true, thanks for sharing! It's something we all need to hear.
I loved the video and your wise words of advice! We all need reminders to put first things first!
So true and something I really need to work on as well!
Kristen, my sisters and I have the same struggles after we have babies. One of my sisters, Cheryl, created a blog that's dedicated to finding the joyful moments in every day. Check it out if you want! http://abiding-joy.blogspot.com/
ps. Nathan's talk is so cute!
Kristen, I am soooo grateful for you! You are an amazing mom and I'm not just saying that!
Post a Comment