Egg in a Nest - B-day Breakfast
Action shot
One thing I love about my children's birthdays is that it gives me a chance to be creative. I don't make time to make things very often in the busy schedules of life, so birthday cakes have become a fun outlet for that creative desire and I look forward to making one for each birthday.
I loved my helpers today! They have gotten old enough that the process is just as exciting as the cake itself and they stayed with me for a large part of the project. They were quite the helpers. I envy Brielle's creative brain. She gets it from her Dad. But she sat there making great suggestions all day (well except for the complicated building of a "sky with Popsicle sticks and then frosting it blue"). She thought of putting the candle actually in the fire (cute!) and solved my building a deer problem by suggesting that it be sitting instead of standing. She also kindly pointed out, as I put the tent together after it fell for the 3rd or 4th time, that if I simply put some frosting along the top it would keep it together. Duh, Mom. Nathan was mostly interested in helping with the eating of off-cuts and leftovers. He was pretty high on sugar today.
The final creation...Nathan suggested the stepping stones across the water. It was a group effort. So fun.
There's our boy!
"Happy Birthday" phone call from family. Man, that makes his day. Thank you for calling and singing to him. :)
Jakie wants a turn at the goods! It is only 2 months away little man.
His present-opening cheering squad.
Brother and Sister love each other
Nathan's Birthday Breakfast of Choice: Egg in a Nest (Chocolate Chip pancakes were a very close second)Nathan's Birthday Dinner of Choice: Green Crepes with strawberries, blueberries and whipped cream (a boy after his mother's heart) then a cinnamon/sugar crepe or two for good measure.
Favorite Color: It has been green all year. Just this week he announced that it is "all the colors."
Favorite Word: "NON" Just as he was beginning to be interested in letters he wrote this "word" on a page and proudly asked what he had written. I read it to him and he was happy as a lark. Ever since, he has to add "NON" to almost anything that he writes. That is HIS signature word.
Favorite Movie: Cars...I think. Thanks to the recent release of Cars 2. Where ever we go, Nathan is on the lookout for race cars. And just so you know, anything with a spoiler is a "race car" in Nathan's book. He loves going fast and will often encourage me to "drive on that fast road" if someone in the lane next to us happens to pass us.
Words to describe Nathan: Intense, Thoughtful, Sweet, Energetic, Silly
Endearing trait: He pronounces a lot of his "th" sounds with and "f" sound. So, for a long time he was "Nafan" and he was "free" years old. Several months ago we taught him how to say his name correctly and he has been very conscious to do it correctly ever since. Then Brielle taught him how to say 3 correctly. Then another word. Then another. Pretty soon that cute little speech will be gone, but I hope I can remember it and his sweet "free" year old voice forever.
Story: I can't remember all of the details, but few months ago I made a big to-do of giving Brielle a kiss on the cheek...like as a prize for doing something. Nathan looked over and said, "Luuuucky!" Now when we give or receive kisses from him he often reminds us how lucky we both are to get the kiss. I love those little reminders.
Hardest Part of Turning 4 (for Mom): Now I have to send him off to preschool (4K). Sniff. Sniff. Why do our children have to grow up? I just want them home with me!!
Happy Birthday Buddy!
10 comments:
Wow! Thank you so much for posting it all- and so fast. It's fun to be part of it, even though I'm far away. I love that you let your kids be part of the creative process and value their suggestions. They feel so good about themselves because you're such a good mom. That cake is just delightful. Your kids are "Luuucky!"
Seriously impressive cake!!!
That is an absolutely amazing cake. You are one cool mom.
You always make such great cakes. I still remember that awesome deer cake.
WOW! You are so awesome! And so is sweet Nathan. Sounds like he had a happy birthday. What fun.
What a great birthday and a most creative cake! I think it is great that you all worked together to create it!
That cake is AH.MAZ.ING. How did you make the deer? He is such a cute boy. You do such a great job of documenting and celebrating your families' memories. It's so cute that he pronounced it as "free." When does he go off to preschool? It doesn't seem like he is old enough for school! Crazy! Happy birthday Nathan-Roo! Your Aunt Michelle loves you!
Amazing cake! Sad to see them grow up so fast!
I can't believe he is 4! Way to go on the cake. It looks awesome. I love your family pic up top. So cute!!
I love all of your birthday traditions! Your kids are all so cute and must really look forward to their special day. You're a great mom :)
Post a Comment