Monday, April 30, 2012

Paper Unit

A month or so before Spring Break the kids asked how paper got from a tree in the forest to a piece of paper in our house. I thought about it for a second and realized I didn't exactly know. Considering Jared's job is all about the paper industry and this city was built around making paper, I figured it was something we all should understand a little better. So, for spring break we learned about paper together. It was an absolute blast. I learned so much. 
We started with several questions and answered them through studying books, watching a DVD about a paper machine, experiments and going to the Paper Discovery Center here in town. The kids represented some of their learning on an empty wall in our dining room:

We also wanted to be able to share some of their learning with their grandparents, so we videoed them teaching Jared. I wish we could have captured them just telling about it in their excited moments instead of when they were feeling a little more scripted due to the video camera, but this captures some of their learning none the less:
Password for both is paper.

5 comments:

Kay Hinton said...

They DID do a great job! I loved it! What a treasure to have this. They will love it when they're older. It teaches so much about paper, but it also shows how they interact with each other and also shows what great parents they have! Mom, can you take a picture of me smiling???

Shonna said...

I tried to watch the vidoes, but alas it didn't work for me this time. I'll try again later. What an awesome project and I love their pictures! What a great Mommy they have to put this all together.

Michelle said...

"Mom, can you take a picture of this?" Ha ha. My other favorite part was Brielle's "recycle! It has 6 exclamation marks, which means you HAVE to do it." Bre already knows cursive?! You're kids are genius's, seriously.

Pam said...

Kristin, what fabulous parents you and Jared are to teach your children a multi-dimensional process! I can think back on so many questions as a kid that I didn't have a clue as to what the answers were, like," where do we get --, "or "how does - work?" etc. etc. They'll remember learning this together with their family. How cool!
And they are ADORABLE, by the way!

Pal & Hatty said...

This is a great learning process and I am sure your kids will never forget! Good job parenting!