Our sweet little angel, Audrey Elizabeth, was born on Labor Day, September 2, 2013 at 9:24 am. (I must admit, I was a bit sour about the idea of going through labor on Labor Day as I drove to the hospital in the middle of the night. We had grand plans for the day. But when all was said and done, I realized there wasn't a better way to celebrate.) Jared and I had gone into the hospital during the night as we thought my water had broken. I was in labor, but she was very high and posterior, therefore the labor was progressing very slowly. I was having contractions, but they weren't painful and they weren't developing into a regular pattern. When Dr. Darling came in at 7 am I was between a 4 and a 5. He suggested pitocen (how do you spell that anyway?!?), to help the uterus "take this seriously." I really didn't want pitocen so I spent an hour walking around, but as soon as I sat down the contractions slowed again. After a little prayer, I decided to move forward with the pitocen. They got me hooked up and the meds started running at about 8:30. The contractions got painful around 9:00. After 2 or 3 painful contractions the nurse said she was going to leave us, but if I felt pressure to call her. The very next contraction I felt pressure. I figured that couldn't possibly be so. After two more contractions, I was sure it was so! I sent Jared running down the hall (somehow we forgot about that handy little "help" button right on my bed). He got to the nurses station in time to hear Laura and Dr. Darling (our nurse and doctor) saying, "Oooh. That is a hard one" and he found them checking my contractions on their monitor. They all came rushing in the room and sure enough, baby was on her way. She had turned and dropped and was ready to come. Her head was out in one or two pushes (my memory of that time isn't very clear...a blessing from heaven I guess). The next contraction not much was happening with getting the shoulders out and Jared heard Dr. Darling say, "Oh, here is the problem" as he took the umbilical cord up over her head. It had been wrapped around her neck. And out she came with the next contraction. They immediately handed her to me and I got to meet our precious daughter as they cleaned her up. Having her right there helped me forget about the intense pain I always still have for a couple of hours after delivery. She was born at 9:24 am, so it was a super quick delivery. I am so grateful for how it all played out. I was fearful throughout my pregnancy that we wouldn't make it to the hospital in time since my labor and delivery with Jacob was so fast. Having Audrey be high and posterior got us to the hospital in time. As I planned my delivery, I was pretty firmly set against pitocen since I have heard it makes a natural birth a lot more intense. I would say it did, but was so worth it since the nurse told me later that Audrey's heart rate was dropping with each contraction because the umbilical cord was around her neck. I am grateful for that intensity as it helped her to be delivered quickly. I am grateful that God is in charge and not me. He definitely knows best.
I finally get to meet this sweet baby girl!
Dad with his precious new daughter
Laura was such a good nurse!! Just who I needed.
Audrey's siblings come to meet her. Jakie's first words were "I want to see her hands." It was followed by a request to see her "foots" and her belly button.
This picture captures the awe that each child seemed to feel as they met their new little sister.
My biggest reason for not wanting to go into labor on Labor Day was that the next day was the first day of school for Brielle. Nathan was staggered start, so we were able to move his day back 2 days so that I could go with him. I am old fashioned and LOVE taking them to school the first day. But, dad did a great job. They brought supplies so that I could put her hair in curlers the night before at the hospital (see picture above) and he rounded up her first day outfit and got her ready and to school. I think it ended up being special for both of them.
Bre with her new teacher, Miss Thome
This is her first picture after she actually had a name. We had SUCH a hard time coming up with the name that felt right for her. Neither of the 2 names we had it narrowed down to felt right after she was born. The night before we were due to come home we decided we had to open it back up and look for other names. That felt daunting to me because we had been through that process. But on the way home from the hospital with the other kids that night, Jared thought of Audrey. It was a name that we hadn't even considered before. It is his grandmother's middle name. We knew that her middle name would be Elizabeth which is his mother's middle name. When he called that night and we talked about it, it just felt so right. Brielle is named after my mom and her mother and it seemed so fitting to follow the same pattern. Not to mention, it is a beautiful name and that she is named after amazing people. They are both wonderful women who are devoted to their role as wife and mother and have a strong faith in Jesus Christ. We hope Audrey will follow their example. The next day when Jared got to the hospital, we both still felt good about it and we finally filled out the paperwork the hospital was begging us to fill out...then came this pic.
Ready to go home
Brielle made a blanket for Audrey and wrapped it up to give to her when she got home.
Here she is in her new blanket
Audrey has grown SO fast. Here she is 3 weeks old.
One night as I was cooking I looked over and saw Nathan and Jacob singing to their sister. I had to catch the moment.
GO cougars. Here Audrey is watching her first BYU game.
And finally, the video I shot soon after the kids arrived to meet Audrey. Password is "foots".
Meeting Audrey from Kristen Mackrory on Vimeo.
I marvel at the miracle of birth. How is it that my best memories of life are all associated with the time I have felt the most pain? I drive past the hospital and long to go back. Birth is a special and holy experience.
7 comments:
congratulations! Beautiful name, beautiful baby.
Oh, my goodness! Thank you for sharing that video - I almost felt as if I were there! Congratulations, Kristen and Jared. You have a beautiful family!
Thanks for sharing. I cannot believe she's already a month old. I love her bows and headbands too. How precious. My kids were watching the video w/ me and Caleb asked when we could meet her cuz she was so cute in all the pictures.
Congratulations, Mackrorys!! So beautiful!
Their excitement and awe in that video is contagious. Birth IS a miracle. You are so positive. Audrey is a lucky little girl to get to be born into such a wonderful family. Audrey is a beautiful, elegant name. How cute that Brielle made a blanket for her! Did you help her?
Beautiful Audrey Elizabeth! She IS lucky to come to your family. Lucky, lucky! I love the Cougar pom poms!!!
Congratulations! We're so excited for you and your family!
Post a Comment