Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Carthage and Nauvoo

We got a later start today, so we didn't do as much, but it was still a nice day. We left Kansas City at about 10 and drove and drove and drove. Today the driving seemed to be longer than any other day even though it was only 4.5 hours. I think we are getting tired of the car. Tomorrow in Nauvoo will be a welcome break!
Our first stop was Carthage Jail. When we arrived there was a large group of missionaries and their mission president were just finishing taking the tour. As we got out of the car, they started singing "Praise to the Man." What a touching way to start our visit. We watched a video and took a tour of the jail. The sister missionaries conducting the tour did a very nice job. I hadn't realized that the jailer, knowing that they were good men and realizing that their lives might be in danger, had given them he and his wife's own room. The dungeon room was 120 degrees, so he moved them to the guest room downstairs for the afternoon, so they weren't suffering in the heat. Then, knowing that the downstairs room wasn't safe for Joseph and his associates due to the large windows, he gave them his nice, well-ventilated, upstairs room. That is the room where the attack took place. As I contemplated what happened there, I felt sadness for Emma and Mary and their children, losing their husbands and fathers and having to face the rest of their earthly lives without them. But I felt a happiness and triumph for Joseph and Hyrum. They completed the mission God gave them to fulfill with faith and integrity. They were able to go home and receive their reward.
Then we drove to Nauvoo just in time to slip into the visitors center before it closed and get some guides so that we could plan our day tomorrow. We also got tickets to the show they put on this evening and really enjoyed going to that. As they closed the sites, we took a stroll through the Women's garden and then walked up to the beautiful Nauvoo temple. It is incredible to think that pioneers built such a glorious building so many years ago. After the show, we drove to a nearby town in Iowa to get food for the next 2 days. We got to cross a draw bridge over the Mississippi River on our way to the grocery store. It was exciting...especially because a train was crossing at the same time we were. The kids were asleep by the time we got back so Jared took care of some stuff online and I went swimming in the indoor pool here in the hotel. Aaah. So nice. It felt good to get some much needed exercise.
We are looking forward to a nice rainy day in Nauvoo tomorrow! :)Missionaries singing "Praise to the Man" outside Carthage Jail.Family PictureThis is my all-time favorite statue. I love and admire both Joseph and Hyrum. Hyrum's humility, integrity, and loyalty to the prophet (his younger brother) has always touched my heart. What amazing men they were.The room in Carthage where they were attacked.The bullet holes through the door.


The Nauvoo temple. I must say, spring is a glorious time to visit the church history sites. We have loved seeing all of the tulips and daffodils at every place we visit. AMAZING!

Brielle, Nathan and Jared holding hands.Brielle was intrigued by the statue of the baby walking to her daddy. She looked at it for 2 or 3 minutes.

Nathan was intrigued with the sticks, rocks, grass, and nuts on the ground. He loved exploring and it was difficult to convince him to come with us to the temple. He came though and said the word "temple" for the first time.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've enjoyed all your pictures. Thanks for sharing!

Kay Hinton said...

You are such a good mom . . to notice what is intriguing to your kids and thinking to snap a picture of it. I so want to know what's in Brielle's head as she's looking at the statue. I love your tulip/temple picture. This is such a sweet experience as you take us on your tour with you. Thank you!

Shonna said...

I am loving your tour! And I'll love it even more when you come to my home tomorrow, wahoo!!! I also agree with Mom, I'd love to know what Brielle is thinking as she observes it for so long. She really seems to be eating all this pioneer stuff up.

Kay Hinton said...

Do you remember when we went to Nauvoo and I had each of you girls choose your favorite statue in the statue garden, and then we took your picture by that one? When Michelle went back with the folk dancers, she had hers taken again by the same statue. That's what Brielle reminds me of-staring at that statue. It really touches me to look at her looking at that. She's being exposed to and filling her soul with art.

Kristen Mackrory said...

I do remember doing that, although I don't remember what one I chose. Do you? What was Michelle's favorite? That is awesome that she remembered and had her picture taken there again! Thanks for being such a good mother to us.

Being in Nauvoo has made me a little jealous of Michelle's Nauvoo experience. What a wonderful place to get to serve. Maybe someday we will get to serve here! But I hear that you have to have an ancestor that lived here. Did we?

Michelle said...

Isn't Nauvoo AWESOME! I definitely have a special place in my heart for it! My favorite statue was the one of the woman kneeling in prayer. It IS sweet that Brielley was so intrigued by that statue. She could probably relate to that one a bit more than any of the others.