Monday, April 27, 2009

On our way

It has been way too long since I blogged. Sorry! Life has been busy preparing for our move across the country to Wisconsin, but we are finally on our way! We left on Friday (Nathan threw up during the drive--no more soft serve ice cream for him!) and we spent the weekend with Granny and Granddad in Colorado. We all had such a nice time with them chatting, playing, and eating delicious food. We were sad to leave this morning, but we made it to our hotel in Omaha. We are excited to go to Winter Quarters and the temple tomorrow morning. We will then go to Liberty Jail and Far West tomorrow and then off to Nauvoo for a couple of days. We are enjoying reading about church history in the car together and are learning a lot. Then we get to have more wonderful family time as we visit Blake and Shonna and then Andrew and KaraLynne in Ohio. From there we backtrack to find our new home in Wisconsin. We are loving the opportunity to have dad with us all day with no work and no school. He is all ours! Life is good!
I got a new camera right before we left. We have loved the Sony Cybershot we got a couple of years ago, but it is so big that is hard for me to handle with 2 kids, so I don't take it with us when we go on fun outings. So we got another Sony Cybershot, but this one is small and fits in the little pocket in my purse so I can take it everywhere. I LOVE it. The shutter speed is really fast too. Yay! Here are a few pictures from our trip so far:Granny and Granddad and Brielle and Nathan. The kids had such a great time with them this weekend...as did we.

Grandpa and Brielle

Grandma and Nathan

These grandparents are referred to by Brielle as "the ones who have the giraffe". The kids love their oversized animals that keep the South African feel alive in their home.

Grandpa rounded up the kids and watched Thomas the Tank engine with them on his computer while we were trying to pack. Thanks dad! Nathan says "Thomas" now. :)

Brielle enjoying granny's beautiful flowersBrielle loves playing the piano and singing and feels especially cool when she gets to wear the headphones. We heard many beautiful primary songs throughout the weekend.Isn't Nebraska pretty? I love the sky! I also really enjoyed seeing the quaint, classic farms along the way, but wasn't able to get a good picture.Our fearless leader! (We did break down and buy a GPS when we arrived in Omaha. After a bit of confusion this morning, and knowing that we are headed into more unknown territory, we decided it would be a good time to purchase one. We have now joined the ranks. What should we name ours?)The kids LOVE the car ride!

Nathan discovered where mom was hiding the crackers and that he could actually reach them from his seat! Yipee! I wish I had captured his look of triumph, but at least you can see him enjoying the goods.

10 comments:

Kay Hinton said...

Your new camera takes beautiful pictures! I'm impressed. I'm so glad you got a GPS. Keep up the great travelogue!

KaraLynne and Andy said...

We are so glad we got a GPS before we moved out here. Fun pictures - I second your Mom, keep a log as you guys drive across - its fun.

Krystal Trapnell said...

Fun trip! I hope the kids continue to enjoy the car ride, it is a long way! Have a great summer and can't wait to see you when you get back. Enjoy Ohio! I miss it!

Shonna said...

So fun! I'm glad the kids are enjoying the car ride, cuz it's a very long one. Thanks for sharing all the tidbits--I also love that giraffe picture. Can't wait til you make it our way, just 3 days. Anybody else jealous?

Lara Zierke said...

I hope you enjoy Wisconsin. Quite a journey, although it always makes it better when there are friends and family to visit along the way. I hope you guys enjoy your time there and I hope Jared learns tons about adult diapers.

Perfectly Imperfect said...

Kristen - I FEEL FOR YOU! Our kids were actually MUCH better traveling across the U.S. than they are going to the grocery store - but considering how they are on the way to the store - that's not hard to beat.

I'm so glad that you are getting to see the sights. We loved getting to see things and I LOVED having Brad trapped in the van - RIGHT NEXT TO ME with no homework, tests, computers, even cell phone the first time or two.

Oh the memories you are making - and calling up in me!

Good luck this summer. I can't wait until we are next door neighbors again!

Joan Morris said...

What a fun adventure. I love your travelogue! What great memories for your kids.

The Freed Family said...

I didn't realize you were moving already. I thought it wasn't until June. What a big adventure and with 2 kids. I am scared to do things like your doing, and yet there are times that I wish we did have to do stuff like you're doing. Good luck. Keep us posted.

Anonymous said...

Good luck with your new move! Brings back lots of memories with our numerous moves.

Love that picture of Brielle smelling the flowers.

Brian said...

So fun to hear about your trip! Being a the nerd I am, what kind of GPS did you get? You will love it. Michelle and I loved ours out in DC. Have so much fun!