Sunday, December 13, 2009

Gingerbread Men

A few weeks ago Brielle started asking to make gingerbread men. I don't know where she got the idea because we have never made them before, but I thought it was a great idea. So, when we had preschool at our house we read "The Gingerbread Man" and then made the cookies (combining 2 things on the "to do" list, "plan preschool" and "make gingerbread men"...don't know why I didn't think of it sooner! I was surprised to find all of the morals and literacy things that I could teach just from that simple story). We all had a blast and that is now Nathan's favorite story. I think this will become a new tradition.
As a side note: Another plus to making gingerbread cookies is that ONE tastes good, but 5 don't, giving that extra boost to not eat too many treats! It's a win/win! Addie, Brielle and Mia
"Make jingle bell!!"
Lots o' yummy cookies!

5 comments:

James and Tricia Thomas said...

You are amazing we need the recpie for that gingerbread!

Shonna said...

What a fabulous new tradition. Is it hard to make gingerbread?

Kay Hinton said...

That looks yummy! Run, run, as fast as you can!

Kristen Mackrory said...

No. It isn't hard at all. In fact, I was surprised at how easy it is. The recipe came off of allrecipes.com-- it's called "Nauvoo Gingerbread Cookies" or something like that. It asks for lard and I just used shortening. Molasses is the only other strange ingredient.

Michelle said...

That is good to know - I have never made gingerbread either! How fun! I love the pic of Nathan looking up at the camera. Cute kid.