Most people believe they have the most wonderful mother ever. I don't just believe that I have the most wonderful mother, I know it. She is the perfect mother for me.
I am reminded of what a lucky girl I am when I see my mom with my children...how she listens to them, how she reads to them, how she plays with them, how she lets them put their fingers in the frosting bowl, lick their fingers and then put them dip them back in for more.
She is so loving, patient and caring. How lucky I am to have been raised by such a good mother. 

I was a handful...a very busy little girl who refused to nap and always wanted to PLAY! (I realize now how tiring that must have been!) Just so you can see what she put up with: One morning when she was 9 months pregnant and I was 2, she told me we were going to the grocery store and we left the house to get into the car. I didn't want to go to the store. I wanted to play. So I took off running down the street to my friend's house and she, 9 months pregnant, took off after me. When she realized that I was gaining ground, she used her last resort. She swung her purse around and flung it at me, knocking me off my feet and allowing her to catch up. Thanks for putting up with and loving me Mom.
My Mom has always been a selfless example to me. I remember in high school I was keeping a very busy schedule. I had an early morning choir class that required getting up around 5:30. My Mom has always been a night owl and early mornings are not her favorite. One particular night I went to bed dreading the morning as our water heater was out and I knew I was going to have to wake up to a cold shower instead of a hot one. (I hate cold showers!) When my alarm went off I was surprised to hear footsteps upstairs, as I was usually the first one awake. So, I went upstairs to see what was up. I found my Mom heating water in large pots on the stove, carrying them all the way down the hall, and dumping them into the bath tub...all so that I wouldn't have to take a cold shower. Thank you for your service Mom!
My Mom has always been my best friend, especially through high school. I could (and did) talk to her about anything. My mother has the unique and wonderful talent of listening. She is the best listener. No matter what time I got home from watching a movie with friends, a date, or an out-of-town trip for a basketball tournament, she was up waiting for me. Often we would talk for another hour or two before going to bed. She knew everything that was on my mind and helped me work through any worry or stress. Even now, my initial, subconcious thought when I face something difficult is "I want my Mom! She can fix it." (Yes, I called her in the middle of the night when my water broke with my first pregnancy. I panicked and needed her reassurance that I could, in fact, make it through labor.) Ironically enough, I tend to get a phone call or email from her just when I need it. Thank you Mom for your caring, listening ear.

I also admire my Mom's commitment to and testimony of the gospel. I see her studying the scriptures, the words of the prophets, and hymns. I see her living her testimony in daily life. And I catch even deeper glimpses into the depths of her soul when I get to listen to a sacrament meeting Christmas program that she has written and organized, attend a Relief Society lesson that she teaches, or attend a Keynote program that she has written and directed. Through her amazing musical talent and teaching ability I see more of the amazing woman that she is. I am grateful to be raised by such a noble person.
Tomorrow is her birthday and I found myself wishing I could do something to show her how much I love and appreciate her. I couldn't come up with anything sufficient. So, I decided to tell you how much I love and appreciate her instead.
Happy Birthday Mom. I love you!
8 comments:
Happy birthday Kay! What a beautiful tribute.
Beautiful tribute Kristen! I agree with everything you said. Your Mom is one of my heroes!
So sweet! You do have a wonderful mother!
Oh, I don't think you're supposed to make people cry on their birthday. Thank you so much for your kind words. You outed me on my child abuse of 30 years ago. Do you think the statute of limitations is up on that . .. or am I headed to prison??? Again, sorry for purse-roping you! Thank you for the singing phone message and for the beautiful flowers, too. I love you!
You do have an amazing mother! I loved hearing about all the stories of her and LOL on the purse!
Amen, sista! Well said. Couldn't have said it better.
This makes tears come to my eyes, what a beautiful tribute--so so true! Mom, you're amazing!
What a beautiful tribute to a wonderful person!!! To know kay is to love her!
Post a Comment