Sunday, February 13, 2011

4 Months



Jacob is 4 months. Crazy. I feel like he was just born, but now he is sleeping through the night! At his 4 month appt. on February 7th, he was:
17 lbs 3 ounces - 85th percentile
26 1/8 inches long - 90th percentile
43 cm around head - 75th percentile
I love having a big, healthy baby boy. Nathan was in th 80th percentile at about this time but dropped to the 10th or 5th percentile over the following 6 months of his life. My milk must start out good and then drop in quality or something, so the doctor recommended starting Jacob on cereal in the next couple of months. We are looking forward to trying that.
Here is an update on our little man:
  • We call our little Jacob Kenneth: Jakers, Jakes, Jakie, Jacob, Bugaboo, Jakester, Baby Jacob, Jake and Buddy.
  • He is quite strong! He can hold his head up for a long time and has quit getting mad when we give him his tummy time. Sometimes it even calms him.
  • Just the last few days I get the feeling he is TIRED of lying on his back. If I rest him back on my body he pulls himself forward to more of a sitting position where he can hit and grab the book, food or whatever is in front of us.
  • He has a very strong grasp and is always looking for something to hold on to...as Brielle can attest to. Her hair gets pulled several times a day. Most things go directly to his mouth.
  • He loves to suck...his pacifier,his thumb,his first 2 fingers,his middle 2 fingers,his top lip (Yes. His top lip. It is hilarious. If I can figure out how to post a video I will share. So funny.) his toy...whatever he can get to his mouth first. Often I will give him a rattle and he will rejoice. Within seconds he is screaming in pure anger. I will run back to him worrying something drastic has happened and find he simply can't fit the rattle in his mouth. Blast. That IS frustrating.
  • He can giggle and laugh.
  • He has recently started saying "ma ma ma ma," mostly in the middle of his crying when no one is responding quickly enough. It is fun to hear him start to baby talk more.
  • He has rolled from front to back a few times, but not consistently.
  • He moves on his back somehow. I only know he will turn 45 degrees from the position I lie him down in.
  • He LOVES his siblings. Brielle and Nathan love to play with and talk to him. He is occasionally the cause of fighting...who gets best position in front of Baby Jacob.
  • He likes to be put to bed when he is tired. When I lie him down he does his "bed dance" where he breaks into a huge smile and kicks and flails his arms as if he is saying "hooray! I get to sleep again." (I wish I could say that more often).
  • He isn't in a regular sleep schedule but has started sleeping 8-10 hours at night most nights. What a blessing!
  • He loves his baths and always has!
  • My favorite moments of everyday are when he catches sight of me and his whole countenance lights up and smiles and his whole body begs me to pick him up. It is amazing what someone so little can communicate without any words at all.
He is such a sweetie and blessing in our lives. We love our little Jakie.

6 comments:

Brian said...

He looks like such a cute little guy! Michelle and I still can't wait to meet him one of these days... We love seeing the pictures of him though.

Kay Hinton said...

Oh what a sweet post. I love all of the pictures. What a precious little guy.

Jamie said...

What a cutie! I can't believe how big he is! I love that their life is over when things don't go their way (i.s can't fit the rattle in his mouth!) Lucky for 8-10 hours. I am working on getting a full 3 hours :(

Jessica said...

What a sweet little boy! And how nice that he's sleeping thru the night at 4 mos.

whitney said...

I have a darker blue fuzzy bath robe like yours! My kids think I'm so hip!

Michelle said...

Oh man, what a sweet little guy! I can just picture his happy dance and him lighting up when he sees his Mama. This makes me feel a little less far away. I love it! I loved the story about the rattle not fitting in the mouth, too. You are such a cute Mom to understand his frustration. :)