I. love. running.
Outside.
Especially in winter.
I know.
Most everyone thinks I am crazy and you probably do too.
But there are few things better than running on a calm night, surrounded by softly falling snowflakes in a world of pure, unmarred whiteness.
Mmm.
It is peaceful.
It is rejuvenating.
It is exhilarating.
When snow isn't actually falling it is a little harder to get myself out the door in the below-zero weather (though I am ALWAYS glad I did). Luckily, my good friend Whitney enjoys running too. So, we equipped ourselves with "robber" face masks and crossing guard reflective vests and we head out for a good run together once a week...regardless of the weather. It was -15 degrees with wind chill a few weeks ago. Tonight the car thermometer said
-2. I'm not sure what it was with wind chill, but it was cold enough to turn our hair to ice crystals and to create a film of ice along the bottom of each eye. Notice the ice on my eyelashes...
The beauty of going running with a friend is that I hardly even notice the cold as we chat and run.
Thank you Whitney for the motivation and the fun!
Thank you Dad for teaching me to love running.
20 years later it is still blessing my life.
10 comments:
You are a lot tougher than me! If it gets below 40 degrees I wimp out and just run on the treadmill inside! Those ice crystals are pretty amazing. Sheesh! Good work, Lu. I'm impressed.
Wow! I couldn't do that--running in subzero temps. Well let's face it, I don't even run in good weather. I stick to my aerobics and walking DVDs. I am impressed that you do that. And how wonderful to have Whitney w/ you too; she seems like a wonderful friend.
Wow~ Look at the ice growing on you! You make torture sound fun! I'm so glad you have Whitney to enjoy it with you.
So Whitney is the new me! Not that I was ever a runner. You wouldn't believe how much I miss our exercise/chat sessions. I just love you! Glad you are able to go running in the winter with a friend. Wish the friend was ME!
Good for you! I'm the same way, not with running but with walking. I don't mind at all going out in the cold every morning and walking and talking with my walking buddies. It is as much for my mind as for my body. I love the fresh air, it gives you a new lease on life.
you ARE crazy and i love it! I am so glad you are able to run after knee problems, it gives me hope. i took a little jog yesterday for the first time in a year and it wasn't great . . . but I'm still hoping I'll be ok to run again! I love it (but probably not in -2 weather)!
I am impressed!! I pretty much hate running but still manage to do it. I did this week run a 5K and felt pretty darn good about myself afterwards! I am usually on my treadmill but nothing beats running outside!
You are crazy girl!! I just started to run again and I love how it clears my mind. But I don't think I could run if it were that cold outside!
These pics are priceless! I'm so glad you took them to remember we can do anything! I love going too! Thanks for motivating me!
That's great that you're running like that, but tell Jared he better be doing the same for this fall. Mike and I have been out in the cold weather as well, so we'll be ready. Just make sure he follows your example.
Post a Comment