Friday, January 16, 2009

If the bead fits...

SHOVE IT!
Can you guess? We had our first "up the nose" experience this week. When we went to Walmart on Monday I saw a bag of cute, kiddish beads for $2.97 and I thought, "That would be a perfect activity for Brielle! She would love making a necklace or bracelet, it would improve her fine motor skills, and she could work on colors and patterns as she did it." Needless to say, she was very excited and insisted I open the bag as soon as we got home. As I was opening it, I saw a disclaimer "For children 5+" on it. I thought, "That is just to cover their backsides. Brielle doesn't put anything in her mouth anymore and she will knows what to do with these. She will be just fine." Little did I know! About an hour later I hear, "Help! Help! I can't get it out!" I go running over to her and she points up her nose. With some trepidation I take a peak. Sure enough, I see a light purple bead shoved as far up her nose as her little finger could shove. Hmmm. There was no way my big finger could dig it out. I tried to get her to blow hard out her nose, instead she sniffed in. Not sure what to do I called the doctor and scheduled an appointment for later that afternoon. About an hour before our appointment, Brielle threw a fit when I told her she needed to pick up ALL the beads before I could get Nathan out of his crib (he had just woken up). In the middle of her tantrum I hear, "Ow, Ow, Ow!" It is the bead again, but this time the result is much more encouraging! I see 1/3 of a purple bead, covered in green, peaking out of her nostril! Yipee! I have never been so happy to wipe a child's nose! Hopefully next time she will think twice before shoving when she discovers something fits!
PS We have lost our camera cord, so I have no way of getting pictures from our camera to our computer. So, sorry. There will be no pictures for awhile. Although, I'm sure you don't mind so much on this one! :)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, that is too funny. Kenna did the same thing when she was little. Only it was to far up we couldn't tell what color it was. We had to go to the Dr. and he removed it with a special tool. The next day Kenna did the same thing AGAIN. After that, the Dr. sent us home with the special tool.

Did you get my email? I changed the name of our blog.

Jamie said...

that is hilarious! I think every child needs an up the nose story! Goes to show you are doing a great job parenting!

Kay Hinton said...

Yea!!! A new post . .. even if it isn't an extremely HAPPY one! Ya, it's probably better there are no pictures of this adventure! Maybe your camera cords are with my "Lascia Chio Pianga" cd and my Italian opera cd and my favorite blue pen. I've spent two days looking . .. I found a lot of other stuff, but no camera cords or fancy cds or special pens. Is it just me, or do I spend half my life looking for stuff?

Kay Hinton said...

See, it's therapeutic, isn't it?

Shonna said...

That is absolutely hilarious!!! LOL! I am so glad it came out on its own (even though it wasn't just purple anymore). Leave it to Brielley Lou. Well, I guess every kid needs a good learning experience, huh? I remember hearing all about mine when I "pingoed" the magnetic letter from the fridge and almost amputated my thumb with it. Cuz once it gets on or in, it's pretty difficult to get off or out. So glad that story had a good ending.

Heather - said...

I thought I left a comment earlier, but it's not here...hmmmm

Anyways, we haven't had any "up the nose" experiences yet (knock on wood), but I'm sure there will be a few over the years.

I'm glad she got it out on her own, because going to the doctor is just a pain, don't you think?

Anonymous said...

Good question. We never had to use the tool, but I still have it. You never know...

Joan Morris said...

That is so funny. We had the same thing happen with Devin. He stuck a dry bean up his nose and while I was on the phone to the Dr. he snorted it out! Kids will be kids.

Michelle said...

I'm still laughing. . . Oh dear. Poor Brielley. I would have given them to her, too! It's a happy thing that you didn't have to go to the Dr.!

K Western said...

Aren't kids a lot of fun! I haven't experienced a nose problem, yet, but I've heard lots of those fun stories. I'm not sure why they are so fascinated with putting things in their noses. I'm glad it turned out all right and that you were able to get it out without making the trip to the doctor.

KaraLynne and Andy said...

This is just awesome. Congrats on having your first up the nose experience with your kids. Im not that lucky yet. :) Classic.