Thursday, January 22, 2009

Sick Day Field Trip

After several days of being couped up with sickness, I decided that we all needed a "field trip" for the sake of everyone's sanity...especially mine. :) A couple of Brielle's library books this week have talked about camping, so I suggested a campout. Now, I am not an imaginative person, so coming up with clever ideas is not my strong suit. But, I am learning that I can just leave the imagination aspect of things to Brielle and just go along with it and have fun. While I set up the tent in the living room, she "collected the sticks" and "made a fire". She "filled a bucket with water" and another one "with sand" for putting the fire out when we were done. Then she handed me a "stick" and some "marshmellows" and we roasted them over the fire. Yum! Then she gave me a hot dog to roast and she cooked 3 of them. I asked her if mine was done cooking. "No, not yet," came the reply. When our hot dogs were finally done she put them in a bun with ketchup and mustard. Delicious! During our campout, all at Brielle's bidding, we also went on a hike "up the mountain" (the stairs), played hide and seek in the dark with a flashlight, read stories in the tent (Brielle was mom during our campout so she did all the reading and she did a fabulous job!), looked at the stars, and went to sleep. Briellie also "filmed" part of our activities when Nathan brought her their toy video camera. He thought it would be a good idea to document our trip.
In the middle of our campout we went and made some real hot dogs and hot chocolate (that was my idea--I was hungry!). Nathan spent most of the time sitting on "the fire" (which happened to be a stool), trying to steal the firewood (a harmonica, straw, and toy pig), and throwing his pacifier out of the tent everytime he needed to cough (which was quite frequent--poor kid!). All in all, I would call it a delightful field trip.Brielle and Nathan roasting marshmellows. (The fire is the pink stool and the green and pink toys are the firewood)Nathan needs a rest after all that cooking.Reading stories in the tent.

Brielle filming Nathan on our campout.

Nathan and Brielle enjoying their hot chocolate. Well, Brielle was enjoying the hot chocolate. Nathan preferred the marshmellows. :)

7 comments:

sara cardon said...

I'm sorry for your sick bugs!! That's the worst part of winter if you ask me-- nowhere to go in the cold weather, but you couldn't go anyway b/c kids (to play with) and your kids are always sick! I'm glad you made the most of a day stuck at home.:)

Joan Morris said...

What a fun "field trip". With Brielle's active imagination, who needs TV? (well maybe except for American Idol):}

Lara Zierke said...

Tisa told me about your blog today so I had to come and check it out! I am excited to see updates from you little family. I love the camping idea - it is so great. Hope you all are feeling better!

Kay Hinton said...

What a fun activity! You're such a cute mom. Brielley has such an active imagination! I'm sorry about the sickness. I can see it in Nathan's little eyes that he doesn't feel well. By the way, I love Brielle's hair in pigtails. She looks so cute.

Shonna said...

That is such a fun activity! I wish I had such a good imagination. That hot chocolate looks delicious I should at least do that part of your adventure.

K Western said...

What a cute idea! I hope your family starts feeling better soon. It's no fun being stuck at home with sick kids.

Anonymous said...

This is AWESOME!