Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Some wonderful sights

Today was busy and wonderful. We started off at Winter Quarters where we took a tour of the visitor center and then wandered around the cemetary and temple. It was a very nice experience. They have smaller replicas of both the Nauvoo and the Salt Lake Temples in the visitor's center and Brielle got so excited when she saw them. She ran over, stood in front of the Nauvoo temple, and sang "I love to see the temple" with all of her heart. It was touching.
Kanesville Tabernacle was next. Jared had been there before and wasn't excited about going again, but I convinced him. We both ended up loving the tour. They taught us about all of the different tools that the pioneers used for various things. It was really interesting. We watched a movie about Brigham Young being sustained as the second president of the church which we enjoyed. What a wonderful man. He was truly a prophet of God. As we left, we realized why Jared had such different experiences. The town of Council Bluffs were the ones to rebuild the tabernacle and they were the ones running to tour when Jared went before. The church took over in 2003 and they have added a lot to the site since then. We would recommend that site to anyone traveling in the area.
After grabbing some Subways (thanks Mom and Dad Mackrory for the food yesterday. Thanks to you this was the first meal we had to buy on the trip!), we headed for Far West. We LOVED this site. We debated going because all that was there were the cornerstones for the temple...no tour or anything, but we are so glad that we did. It was our favorite stop of the day. As soon as I got out of the car, I felt a special spirit there. That is definitely a sacred place. It was so peaceful and beautiful with spring flowers in bloom and birds singing in the trees. We could have stayed there all afternoon. It was neat to think that all 12 apostles gathered on that sacred spot before leaving on their missions over seas. Those wonderful men gathered there in faith, despite persecution, to do as the Lord had commanded them. I look forward to the day that the temple there is completed.
We then drove up to Adam-Ondi-Ahman for a couple of brief walks and then went to Liberty where we took a tour of Liberty Jail. This site was a close second to Far West for both Jared and I. Our cousin Melanie has working for the church for the past several months doing in-depth research on Liberty Jail to put together a site guide for the missionaries who conduct the tours at that location. I was lucky enough to be in St. George when she spoke in Relief Society in my mom's ward a couple of weeks ago and I learned so much about the Prophet Joseph's experiences there and the effect it had on the church. After just learning so much from her, it was especially touching to go and visit that important place. The sister missionary who conducted our tour encouraged us to think of the "Liberty Jails" in our own lives--the experiences we have where our faith is tried. She taught us that this experience in Liberty Jail was to try the faith of those who were there and they proved faithful despite the difficulties. Through this experience they were refined and made better. It was touching to apply that to my life. I hope I can prove faithful in the "Liberty Jails" of my life.
We are having a wonderful time as a family visiting all of these sacred places. What a blessing. Tomorrow we are off to Nauvoo.Classic self couple shot in front of the beautiful pink blossoms at our hotel in Omaha.We found "Mormon Street" thanks to missing our turn off to Winter Quarters! :)Pioneer Brielle singing "I Love to See the Temple" in front of the Nauvoo temple replica.Brielle and Nathan are "packing the wagons" for the trip west.Nathan was a "pioneer" just long enough to play 2 quick games of peek-a-boo.
I love this statue of them pressing forward. They did this continually despite so many challenges and set backs. What courageous examples!Winter Quarters TempleBrigham Young and his newly sustained counselors outside the Kanesville Tabernacle.A covered wagon replica at the tabernacle.Jared looking at one of the cornerstones of the Far West temple.Nathan discovered the fence was not small enough to keep him in. In and out, in and out...how fun!Flowers and US flag at Far West. I admire the pioneers' devotion and loyalty to this country even when time and again their pleas for help to government officials were unanswered. Perhaps they understood God's hand in the establishment of this free country for the purpose of restoring the gospel to the earth.Jared stopped on the way to Adam-Ondi-Ahman so I could get a picture of one of the beautiful, classic barns.Adam-Ondi-Ahman

Liberty Jail

We found your city Blake and Shonna!

5 comments:

Kay Hinton said...

What a great trip you are having! I love the story of Brielle singing to the temple and of Nathan going in and out of the fence. I'll bet he was just enjoying being able to MOVE! Your barn picture is beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing. Keep it up (when you can!)

Blake said...

I LOVE the pictures and the recap. It sounds like you are having a very fun family trip! You guys are such great examples. We're so excited to see you in a few days. I'm so glad you found our city, too. I'd been wondering where we'd left it. ;)

KaraLynne and Andy said...

What a wonderful adventure you four are on. I love the Mormon St. hee hee

Shonna said...

YES!!! Our own city! Thanks for finding it. You could come visit if you want. I love this post! I love that Brielle sang "I love to see the temple" with all her heart, that is so precious. And whoever took those pictures is a great photographer. The one with the yellow tulips and temple is gorgeous! I also like the flag with the blossoms, and of course, my very own "Cameron sign." ;)

Michelle said...

I didn't know that there WAS a Mormon Street! You have done a fabulous job of recording your fun trip. Such a fun post. Brielle and Nathan make DARLING pioneers.