Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Weekly Wednesday Wisconsin Cheese

Did you know that Wisconsin is the dairyland of America? This state ranks "first in the United States in milk production supplying nearly 15% of the nation's milk, 30% of the cheese and 25% of the butter." When we told people we were moving to Wisconsin the most common response was something about the cheese. We were told about chocolate cheese, fried cheese curd, cheese in the shape of Wisconsin etc. etc. It got us excited to try all of this fun cheese and we decided we would share those adventures with you. Every week we will carefully select a new type of cheese to try and we will give you the report. This week's lucky winner was Blueberry White Cheddar Cheese. It was interesting. Cheddar cheese is a staple in our home, so we thought we would start with something that wasn't too far from what we know. It was more firm and a little sharper than the mild cheese we usually have. There was a hint of blueberry, but we were surprised that there wasn't more blueberry taste. We preferred it with a cracker rather than just plain as the taste was pretty strong. There you have it. Our ameteur cheese review.

12 comments:

Heather - said...

Awesome. Oh how I love cheese!

Shonna said...

How fun! It reminds me of the time when Brielle exclaimed "Cheese!!!" during the blessing at Michelle and Brian's wedding luncheon. I guess somebody was still learning to close her eyes during a prayer. ;) It was so cute!

James and Tricia Thomas said...

Yummy!! I love cheese!! I can't believe your only trying a new one once a week!

Kay Hinton said...

You need to know that if you like cheese, you come by it VERY naturally. It's in your genes. Your Grandpa Gabe loved cheese, and it has passed on to his children and grandchildren. He would have loved Wisconsin. I can't wait to try some!!!

reisnersest03 said...

I am glad to hear you made it! I am a huge Wisconsin fan! I was born there and we visit every other year to see our family! You do know that now you have to be Packer fans right???

sara cardon said...

Hooray for living in Wisconsin!! I hope you love your adventures there-- especially the cheese.:) One of my best friends here is from Wisconsin, so I'll have to ask her for fun things/places to go and then send them your way.

Lara Zierke said...

I love this idea! What a fun way to journal your time in Wisconsin. Be daring!

Mary said...

Interesting, I had NO idea that cheese came w. fruit stuffed inside of it. Lol, what a fun thing to do each week! I look forward to the weekly reviews.

Perfectly Imperfect said...

I think i am going to have to come visit you every Wednesday. Brad and I have recently gone on our own cheese tasting bonanza. I have never had the pleasure of Blueberry Cheddar, but I think I could be easily persuaded!

Joan Morris said...

I love your idea to review a cheese each week. I also inherited Grandpa Gabe's love of cheese, but not as much as Devin. He LOVES it!! He's like Wallace of Wallace and Grommett fame. CHEESE!!!!!!!!!!
I'll look forward to checking your blog on Wednesdays.

Mitch said...

Just when I thought I had caught up I saw two more blogs; isn't that awesome?!
I would love to be there to try the cheese, but I think I would be more nervous than you appear to be.
Please keep us posted as you taste.

Michelle said...

Yum! I'm excited for more cheese posts to come!