Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Weekly Wisconsin Cheese Review - Guest Chefs

We were honored to have Mom and Dad here for this week's Wisconsin adventures! What a blast!
Cheese of the Week: Mozzarella Whips
Rating on scale of 1-10: 8
Quote of the Week: "ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!"
We went to Simon's Cheese Factory on Mom and Dad's first day here were we were able to sample several cheeses. Dad's favorite cheese was "Mozzarella Whips" which he then selected as our cheese of the week. I must say that that was the funnest cheese I have ever eaten. Plus, it was really good! It tasted like really fresh string cheese. Yum! If you want to have fun as a family, next time you are in Wisconsin, buy a pack of mozzarella whips for $4.47 and have the time of you lives!

And thank you eveyone for your cheese suggestions! We are excited to try them all. It will make it more fun knowing that you suggested them.
Wisconsin Recipes
Our guest chef, Kay Hinton, prepared both of our new Wisconsin recipes of the week: Chilies Rellenos (in honor of her mother. Grandma Gabe always ordered this at Mexican Restaraunts) and Herbed Tomato and Cheese Crostini. Yum. That sums it up best: YUM, YUM, YUM! We had last week's Cauliflower Soup with these two dishes and the soup that I loved so much paled in comparison with both of these. Thanks for your hard work mom!Fresh deliciousness!

Bubbly cheese on top

Chilies Rellenos - Mom and my favorite. Jared and Dad liked the Crostini better.

Herbed Tomato and Cheese Crostini

8 slices French bread
3 Tablespoons bottled Italian dressing
4 plum tomatoes, diced
3 Tablespoons fresh basil leaves, chopped
3 Tablespoons fresh oregano leaves, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced (our addition)
1/2 pound sharp Cheddar cheese, sliced

Brush bread slices lightly with 1/2 teaspooon each of Italian Dressing. Toast lightly under broiler (the reciped didn't call for this step, but the bread was a bit soggy without it, so I will do it next time). Mix tomatoes, basil, oregano and garlic together in bowl. Top bread slices with tomato mixture. Top with cheese slices. Broil several minutes until cheese begins to melt. Makes 4 servings.

Chilies Rellenos
3/4 lb. Monterey Jack cheese, sliced
1/2 lb. Cheddar Cheese, shredded
2 eggs
1 can chopped green roasted chilie peppers (mild)
2 Tablespoons half-and-half
1 1/2 teaspoons flour

Grease a 9-inch square pan. Beat eggs, flour, and cream. Layer 1/2 Monterrey Jack cheese, 1/2 Cheddar cheese, 1/2 chili peppers, and 1/2 egg mixture; repeat layers. Pour remaining egg mixture over top of layers and bake at 275 degrees for 1 hour. Cut into squares and serve hot. Makes 16 appetizer size servings.

6 comments:

Kay Hinton said...

That was so fun to be part of your Wisconsin experiments. That cheese was very fun. I keep hearing Brielle's little giggle as she watched grown-ups play with their food. The dinner was delicious. Wisconsin cheese IS all it's cracked up to be!

Suz said...

yuM- those all look really yummy. I might just have to give them a try. I'm glad you had fun with your parents in town too!

Michelle said...

Wow! I want to come to your party. That food looks delicious; I'll have to try those recipes!

Claire said...

I love the cheese reviews! What is Wisconsin like?

Heather - said...

That cheese looks so fun, and the food looks amazing! It's after 10pm, and after looking at your pictures, I feel like I need to go eat another meal!

Fowler family said...

Kristin, you are making my stomach growl and its almost midnight! Those cheesey tomato thingys look delicious! So fun that you are truly experiencing Wisconsin and enjoying all different types of cheeses. You know what- we joke that we spent our honeymoon at the cheesefactory. We honeymooned at the Oregon coast and stayed near Tillamook, where Tillamook cheese is made (and we did in fact tour the factory). Cheesy I know.