Wednesday, June 10, 2009

WWCR - We went out on a limb and...

The limb broke.
Cheese of the Week: Blue Cheese
Rating from 1-10: 1
Quote of the Week: "Are you going to be sick?" (That is Jared's way of asking, "Are you about to toss your cookies?")
Since both Sara and Joan recommended Blue Cheese, we decided to give it a try. Unfortunately, I hadn't seen Cheryl's warning comment until it was too late. Here is the summary (notice one of these things is not like the others):

I think this is only the second one that Brielle has liked. Go figure!

We were wondering what the words "piquant" and "earthy" meant as we read them describing blue cheese. Now we know. It actually tasted okay until the aftertaste hit. Then it was very bitter. I know that blue cheese is an aquired taste, so I decided I needed to try more than one piece. After 3, I was done. I will have to acquire that taste another time. (Maybe someday we will be as classy as you Joan and Sara. :) ) Luckily, one of the other interns at KC loves blue cheese, so we gave it to her. We are glad someone will enjoy it!

Our Wisconsin Recipe of the Week, Stuffed Eggplant, wasn't a big hit either...very labor intensive and not very good. So I won't share that recipe with you unless you REALLY want it.

15 comments:

James Hatch said...

Oh, that's too bad. I really love blue cheese!

Kay Hinton said...

Well, I can see the problem right away . . .you bought BLUE cheese instead of BLEU cheese! Grandpa Gabe always said that eating Bleu cheese puts hair on your chest. I guess only Brielle will get a hairy chest! Those pictures are laugh-out-loud cute!

Kay Hinton said...

Does this mean you're NOT trying the Gorgonzola?

Lara Zierke said...

So sad. I LOVE blue cheese, but I know it is a rarity. Hope you didn't spend too much money on it. ;)

Joan Morris said...

Sorry you hated the blue cheese. I guess it is an acquired taste. I guess Brielle's the only one with Norwegian "genes".

Kristen Mackrory said...

Dont' be sorry. We are glad that we tried it. We wanted to try new things, so thanks for the suggestion. It won't be the last time I try it either. I'll learn to like it someday! :)

Shonna said...

Too bad. I remember I used to want to be like Grandpa Gabe and I tried Bleu Cheese salad dressing, and I thought it was despicable. But a couple weeks ago when Blake and I went to that woodfired pizza place, we got a spinach strawberry salad with red onions and bleu cheese vinaigrette. It was to die for. We loved it so much we came home and googled for a recipe like it. Unfortunately we haven't found one yet, we only tried one that was so spicy it made my stomach and throat burn.

Shonna said...

I just had an idea, put some blue cheese on veggies for Brielle. Then she might get a sticker.

sara cardon said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the pictures of your faces trying the blue cheese!! Ha!! My suggestion would be to try it crumbled with apples or pears (something sweet) or in a salad, and it's much, much better. I don't think even I would like it all alone and stinky.:)

Blake said...

That picture of Nathan is HILARIOUS! You've got to hold onto that one for renewable laughs whenever you need one.

Kricket said...

I am so proud of you for making this experience such a memory maker for your family in Wisconsin.

Brian said...

Michelle and I agree with Blake - that picture of Nathan made us laugh out loud!

Cheryl said...

So, so sad....though I'm not at all surprised :)

James and Tricia Thomas said...

Love the pictures! Too bad I LOVE LOVE LOVE blue cheese! But it is an aquired taste for sure!

Sarah said...

Fun idea! Devin would be all over that. He LOVES cheese. Any kind of cheese. Favorite blue cheese recipe... I know this sounds sick... but mix it with cream cheese and spread it on French bread. Then put slices of brie on top. bake until bubbly. cover with thin slices of granny smith apples. It is yummi. A Taylor favorite.