Rating: 9
As I have combed through every store's cheese selection during the last 2 months, Muenster Cheese has always caught my eye. At least twice, it made it to the final two only to be beat out at the last second by its competitor. But not this week. And we were all happy about that. Muenster Cheese is very similar to Havarti cheese in both taste and texture (at least, to me, a novice cheese taster). Therefore, it got the same rating, although I think I like Muenster a little bit better. [I have a couple of slices of each sitting next to me and I keep taking a nibble of one and then the other...no wonder my pants are feeling tight! That is one downside to this weekly cheese tasting thing. If it was just "tasting" that would be one thing, but it's not. Every week, we have an extra block of cheese (because of course we still need the staple cheeses) that we need to eat. And too often I am the only one that likes it enough to finish it off. (I still struggle with the whole concept of "it is better for food to go to waste than for it to go to your waist." My frugality gene is too strong.)]
Anyway, everyone liked this week's choice. I think it helped that on Tuesday the kids and I were invited to have lunch with Amber Brady (the wife of one of the other BYU MBA students interning at Kimberly-Clark) and her girls. As she was making her delicious ham and cheese crescent rolls, I mentioned that we would be trying Muenster Cheese next. She exclaimed that it is one of her favorites and that she had considered using it for the meal we were about to have as it melts so nicely. Wah Lah! Dinner idea for Wednesday night! Happiness. Success.
I thought it would count as our Wisconsin Recipe of the Week as well. Afterall, we had it in Wisconsin and it was delicious. :)

1 can crescent rolls
8 slices of ham
8 slices of cheese (Swiss or Muenster)
Diced onions
Roll one slice of folded ham, cheese, and some diced onions in each crescent roll triangle and cook according to roll directions. Delish!
8 comments:
I LOVE Munster! My favorite way to eat it is on Tomato Basil Wheat Thins. That is one of our movie snacks when we are sick of popcorn (which doesn't happen often). How many more WWCR's do we have left before you are back at the Y?
Okay, so I am missing all of your fun ideas!!! I'm loving the cheese testing vibe... that is soooo funny! I'm seriously contemplating the crescent rolls with ham inside for our ward campout tomorrow, you guys should come.... haha. Anyway, your family is adorable! I'm happy to hear that you got to play tennis! Yeah! Jules
Hey! We love muenster; it's actually my Dad's favorite cheese. That recipe looks yummy too!
We're going to the library again on Monday. We're trying for the 9:00 (actually starts at around 9:05), and we'd love to have you come if you'd like to.
It's weird to be out of Utah on Pioneer Day, don't you think? I miss it.
Yum! I have Muenster in my fridge right now. Crazy! :)
I do so like this cheese!! Can't go wrong with an Austrian cheese. I think Jonathan would totally dig those ham rolls for dinner. Thanks for the idea!!
Yes, those ham rolls are good. Shonna taught it to me- but with mustard. They are yummy and easy.
Yum, sounds like a great recipe and how can you go wrong with a cheese that sounds like a Halloween costume?
Yumm... I have tomorrow's dinner planned thanks!!
Post a Comment