This week's cheese has a very special name...
Brie!! We couldn't go through this cheese experience without trying the one named after our daughter. (For those of you who don't know, that is Brielle's most common nickname)
Cheese of the Week: Brie
Rating: 5
Quote of the Week:
Jared (as Kristen puts it on a piece of bread to eat): "What are you doing?!?!"
Kristen: "I have to give it one more try!"
Jared: "You're crazy."
Brie is a softer cheese that comes in an etible rind (although, I wouldn't recommend eating it. Yuck.) In fact, the center of the triangular shaped cheese was even spreadable. I must admit, our first taste of Brie was not pleasant in the least. I feared that I would "be sick" as its taste was somewhat reminiscent of the last time that I "was sick". It would have been lucky to receive a 2 in our rating system. However, I learned from our Blue Cheese experience. I regretted giving up on it before trying it in a manner that gave it at least some chance of succeeding. Afterall, if even Sara wouldn't like it on a cracker, maybe I would have liked it if I had made a dressing with it or something. So, I did my research on Brie. How is it best? We have a friend here in Wisconsin who not only lives in America's Dairyland, but served his mission in France. We decided he would be a good "Brie resource." He suggested eating it on french bread or a baguette. It took courage to put another piece of that stuff in my mouth, but I happily concede that it was much better. It's rating jumped a full 3 points! For those of you cheese lovers out there, do you have any serving suggestions that might help Brie rank even higher?
Disclaimer: I am late again. Sorry. My excuse? We made a last minute decision to spend the 4th of July weekend in Chicago (post to follow soon), so I spent all of my free time on Tues. and Wed. planning and preparing for that. Therefore, the Wednesday review has not been posted until now. Can you forgive me? I will be on time this week! I promise!
6 comments:
Yes, yes, yes. I can give you a suggestion. I think the only time I've had brie, Aunt Pam wrapped it in Philo dough (little sheets of flaky dough you can buy) and then baked it. She served it with jam. It was so so good. I know you'd like that. I think any of those pastry doughs would work.
Brie is one of Devin's favorite cheeses (he also learned to love it on his mission in France). You definetely need to serve it at room temperature or warmer to appreciate it's smooth texture. Spread it on French bread then slice a granny smith apple on top. YUM!
I LOVE Brie. Although I think it smells like feet. I like to put it on a cookie sheet and bake it for a few minutes so it is warm, then spread it on bread or crackers. It smells horrible while it's baking, but I love the creamy texture and smooth taste.
Baked brie is really, really delish. You can find recipes where you roast almonds in butter and brown sugar, then add cranberries, then put all on top of the brie so it gets oozy and soft. Yum!! I love these reviews!!
Yummm. You guys are making me excited to try Brie again. I am adding stuff to the grocery list with each comment so that I can try them. Now I remember Sarah telling me that she and Devin really like to eat Brie that way. Thanks for the reminder. And thanks for all the FABULOUS ideas! Bring on the Brie!
I would give you all sorts of suggesting how to best eat cheese that smells like feet and tastes like when you "were sick", but I just don't have any. Instead, I wish you the best of luck. ;)
Post a Comment