Sunday, September 6, 2009

A Builder and a Packer

The Builder: I rotate my kids' toys. I leave about 1/4 of their toys out at one time and put the rest on the high shelves in their closets. This helps to cut down on the "tornado hit" look that is created very quickly every morning and it also restores excitement to those toys that had become a bit boring. Well, I guess Nathan was in the mood to "build" and his blocks were not within reach, so he went searching for a substitute. Pretty clever eh? He's got 2 boxes of candy bars (for Jared's lunches), a large tin of custard powder, and 2 tubs of Oats. Too bad it got too tall. I would have liked to see what came next. :)
The Packer: As most of you know, Jared's #1 hobby these days is hunting (if you move to Idaho, be careful, or you will fall prey to this addictive hobby as well. Although it isn't necessarily bad. Jared is definitely glad it happened to him). He dreams about it for 11 months out of the year and then, finally, the "magical season" is here. Last year he only got a short birthday hunting trip due to the busyness of coming back to school. As a result, he has spent the last 10 months planning and preparing so that he could go on a full week hunting trip and tomorrow his trip begins. He is on cloud nine. The kids and I are taking advantage of this opportunity to spend a week with my parents in St. George. We are definitely looking forward to it. Today, when I mentioned to Brielle that we needed to pack she asked if she could help. Doubting how much "help" she would be, I somewhat reluctantly agreed. She proved to be quite the packer. She laid all of her shorts on the ground, found matching tops, folded them neatly and put them on her bed. She gathered panties, socks, shoes, church clothes etc. as I directed her and neatly put them on the bed to be packed. And yes, she is the one who put them in those neat piles. She's hired! I am amazed that a 3 year old could do such a fabulous job.
Man, I love my kids!!!


7 comments:

Blake said...

Look at those kids! I love how happy they both are with their accomplishments. You've got a couple of pretty smart kids, and they're so darn cute!

Shonna said...

Boy does Brielle looked pleased with herself. I am really impressed too! And Nathan is so resourceful. Gosh I just can't get over those cute piles.

James and Tricia Thomas said...

Wow my 5 year old can barely pack! On the other hand Preston can build a mean 'castle' with stuff he should not!

The Freed Family said...

Such cute, smart kids. Have fun on your trip.

Mitch said...

Carolyn told me about these two entries when we went for a walk on Monday. Seeing is believing! Nathan's "castle" is SO high and Brielle's neatness is unbelievable. I try hard and cannot do it that well (I also cannot match things, so that doesn't help).
I love your blog!!

summer said...

What fun stories for each child! Good to catch up a bit on your life - it's hard at times not being there with everyone at school...but we love where we are. Enjoy your vacation, and be sure to have Brielle pack your things to come home as well!!

Joan Morris said...

Your kids are getting so big. Have fun with your Mom and Dad in St. George!