Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Wednesday Wisconsin Cheese Review

Cheese of the week: Sweet Cranberry Cinnamon
Rated (from 1-10): 7
Quote of the Week: "It has a hint of holiday"

After last week's disappointment, this week's cheese was amazing. It has been our favorite so far. We really enjoyed it. It is the perfect thing to eat during the holiday season as the marbled cranberry looks elegant and "Christmas-sy" and the cinnamon flavor is reminiscent of holiday treats. Success. We decided tonight that we are ready to go even further out on a limb and actually try some of the different kinds of cheeses, not just flavored cheddar.

Farmer Style Cheese-Cauliflower Soup

We had amazing success with this week's Wisconsin recipe as well. I LOVED it. I know trying another soup might be boring, but after thoroughly enjoying the creamy cauliflower soup I had with Shonna at a delightful restaurant in Columbus, I HAD to try this one. Brielle helped me with every step, but she still wouldn't eat it. Oh well. I would totally recommend giving this recipe a try. You will be glad you did!

2/3 cup thinly sliced white parts of green onions

1 garlic clove, minced

2 tablespoons butter

3 cups cauliflower flowerets

3 cups canned chicken broth

1 teaspoon paprika

1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

2 cups small curd cottage cheese

Salt and white pepper to taste

4 Tablespoons thinly sliced green onion tops for garnish

In a Dutch oven, cook the white parts of the green onions and minced garlic in the butter over moderately low heat, stirring, until softened. Add the cauliflower and broth; bring to a boil and simmer, covered for about 15 minutes, or until cauliflower is tender. Add the seasonings and cottage cheese. Cook, stirring, until the cheese is melted. Add salt and pepper to taste. Puree the mixture in batches in a blender or food processor (once again I just mashed it with a potato masher because we like having chunks of veggies). Return soup to the pan, heat through, and garnish with green onion tops. Serves 4.

6 comments:

sara cardon said...

Mmmm, this one does sound pretty good. I say you go for the good ol' stinky cheese next time (blue cheese)-- just like the kind from Swiss Village Cheese factory in Caldwell, ID.:)

Joan Morris said...

That cheese does sound pretty good, although I would never think to put cinnamon and cranberries in cheese. I'm with Sara, go with the bleu next time.

Perfectly Imperfect said...

Okay - I am ready for some now!

James and Tricia Thomas said...

Sounds interesting!! Who would think cinnamon would be good in cheese!!

KaraLynne and Andy said...

Go for a good Smoked Gouda- sooooo yummy

Cheryl said...

I'm totally going to try your recipe! Personally I'm against all kinds of bleu cheese. Why are we eating something moldy on purpose...?