Monday, June 15, 2009

Happy Birthday Mom!


I was lucky enough to be born to the best mother ever and tomorrow is her birthday. I often pray that the belief that "we learn best from example" is true...if so, there is hope for me as a mother thanks to the 30 years I have had to learn from her example. My mom has an amazing ability to love, teach, and nurture. It seems to me that the admonition to "put family first" comes easily to her as that is how she lives her life. I am eternally grateful for her and her friendship. I love and admire her:
  • Beautiful singing voice and musical knowledge
  • Love of reading
  • Determination - One example of this is she has a desire to become very good at playing the piano. She sets difficult goals for herself and keeps up a rigorous practice routine and, by-golly, she is very, very good.
  • Testimony and knowledge of the gospel
  • Listening talent - She is SUCH a good and loving listener...just what a daughter needs in her mother.
  • Love to play games - Thanks for the HOURS of delightful late-night game playing
  • Ability to constantly support and love all around her without thought of herself
  • Courage - 2 knee replacements in one year is not for the faint of heart.
  • Ability to cook amazingly delicious food
  • Leadership
  • Writing - Man, can she put together an incredible Keynote concert or sacrament meeting program, as well as a delightful blog post.
  • Willingness to go outside her comfort zone for someone she loves

That just scratches the surface. Thank you for who you are Mom. I love you!

6 comments:

James and Tricia Thomas said...

How sweet! Your Mom is amazing and I LOVE reading her blog it always makes me smile!

Joan Morris said...

Happy Birthday Kay!! I agree with Kristen, you are a great example to me and have been throughout my life! We are all better people from knowing you and associating with you :)

Michelle said...

You hit it right on the head, Lu! Amen. To all she said. I especially agree with the "courage" point, and the one about how selfless she is. Blessed children, we are!

Kay Hinton said...

How kind you all are . .. way more than I deserve. Thank you!!!!

sara cardon said...

I would also like to add that she is a great aunt.:) Oh yeah, and that she has a wonderful sense of humor too! I remember many spring breaks when she would get Whitney going and giggling, and there was no end in sight!

Perfectly Imperfect said...

Happy Birthday Kristin's mom - and thanks for your daughter. You did a GREAT job mothering her - she is the BEST!