Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Haircut

I grew up in a family of all girls (except for my amazing father, of course) and I LOVED it. It was great to hang out with "the girls" every night. I think even my father would say that. We all love to be together and I wouldn't change it for anything. However, it does make having a son a bit more difficult. I have a lot to learn about boys! So far, I have learned that they make a much greater mess at the dinner table, that they are VERY busy, and that they are less emotional than girls. I can handle all that. But, there is one difference that I haven't figured out yet...their hair! I have no clue what to do with little Nathan's hair. Poor kid. I haven't loved the haircuts that I have paid for, but his recent "extra-shaggy" look wasn't working for me either. So today, on a whim, I pulled out the "buzzer", strapped his booster seat to the toilet, stripped him down to his diaper, and gave Brielle a bag of jelly beans with instructions to "keep Nathan happy." This is as far as we got:
(These are evidence of boys being VERY busy. I couldn't get him to hold still long enough to take a picture; He kept shaking his head back and forth as fast as he could. So, these pics will have to do.)

I considered bringing out the scissors and trimming the top a bit (we don't have a comb long enough to just buzz it). I made the right decision to forego that effort as the jelly beans ran out at about that time and 2 of the 3 of us were in tears.
So, here I ask for your feedback. What do I do from here? Do I leave it as is? Do I attempt the scissors? Do I change the style and go for a bit more of a "spikey" look? Does it really matter? Afterall, he is a busy 2 year old boy. Teach me.

13 comments:

Shonna said...

Sorry, no idea what to do. I cut Blake's hair, but he's really good at holding still. ;) Wish I knew what to do with a moving little busy boy.

Jamie said...

I like it! You are a brave woman . . .I can't even hold jacks still enough to clip his toenails (gross I know!) Luckily, we like his shaggy look, at least for now. Impart of your learned info when you get it!

Krystal Trapnell said...

I think it looks cute! I always used to do a long buzz (like a 7 on top) on Damon until he could hold still longer (and I got better with the scissors). I've gotten better with practice and you will too!

Heather - said...

my boys don't have a ton of "style" to their hair, but here's what I do:

I use clippers, a #2 on the bottom, and a #8 on the top, then I clean up the back and around their ears/sideburns with no attachment on. The top of their hair is a little shorter than I would probably like, but it's long enough to comb to one side, or spike up the front (their favorite).

The funny thing is, I do exactly the same thing for all my boys (James included), but it looks different on all of them.

As far as the not holding still thing, I think it just takes practice on your part. Once you've had enough practice, you can go more quickly (I usually only spend a few minutes on each of them). And I've found that if you're using clippers, it doesn't matter as much if they're moving. Just concentrate, get in there, and get it done!

Like I said, my boys' hair doesn't have a ton of style, but I figure they're just little boys. Once they're old enough to tell me what they want with their hair I'll probably have to make adjustments.

As for Nathan's hair, I would only worry about trimming it if it really bothers you.

Good Luck!

Blake said...

Here's some advice from a boy who grew up with boys: give it a try with another adult on hand (a nice husband would work) to help hold the boy still. Tell him what you're going to do and that he needs to sit really still for just one minute (Try some motivation other than candy or food - they run out too quickly). The key is another adult. I'm sure Brielle was very helpful, but you need another adult for this job, another adult who can help you motivate him. My brothers and I never got poked, but maybe we weren't quite as busy as your little boy.

Brian said...

My mom would just buzz my brothers and I for the summer and not worry about our hair again until school started up. Being busy boys, we enjoyed not having to worry about our hair as well!

Lara Zierke said...

I don't think it looks that bad. I've been cutting my husband's hair for the eight years we've been married. I only like about every-other hair cut. I need some tips too! :)

Joy said...

For all the boys at my house--I use the clippers for the sides and back and then I use the scissors on the top. It just takes practice and you have to just cut quickly. With Logan I just have someone entertain him while I am cutting. (russell is usually the best entertainer) Good Luck!!!

Meagan said...

Buzzers all the way, I wish I could link to my post on cutting Asher's hair but your comments don't let me. If you go to my domesticwonder blog and look under Budget Conscious, it's the "Save Money, Cut Some Hair" post. I generally use a 5 on top, 2 on the sides and a 3 to blend. I like to cut it short so we have to cut it less! I think that blending the sides is the key. Nathan's hair looks adorable!

Joan Morris said...

I remember those days when I used to try and cut Devin's hair. I did a terrible job and we both ended up in tears. So, when Taylor came along, I took him to the "haircut lady" and got a treat afterwards. :)

The Freed Family said...

You are funny. I have boys haircuts down...too bad you don't still live here. We have 1 style at our house so I do all 4 of my boys (Mitch :), Garrett, Zach, and Tyson) the same.....a number 1 on the bottom and a number 3 on the top and blend with a 2 in the middle. Good luck.

Claire said...

I second what Heather said - use your clipper attachments.

One thing that works really well with Mason (wiggly boy that he is), is cutting his hair outside - I give him a spray bottle full of water and let him go at it while I cut. :o) I get a little wet, but he holds still, because if he doesn't, he loses the spray bottle. ;o) Good luck!

Kay Hinton said...

You are hilarious. You should write a weekly newspaper column. That cute little stinker. You can see the mischief in his eye. Daddy and I are dying to know which two of the three of you were in tears!!