Wednesday, July 8, 2009

WWCR - Secret Ingredient

Cheese of the Week: Chocolate Cheese Fudge Rating: 8
Quote of the Week: "What is in this? Aaaah. The first ingredient is sugar. Naruhodo Ne?" (Japanese for something like "It all makes sense now.")
In an effort to keep Jared in the game (the last few weeks have kind-of turned him off of the weekly cheese tasting), I selected a cheese full of Jared's "secret ingredient". Sugar. We were fascinated with the idea of chocolate cheese when my cousin Melanie told us about it before we came and this week we finally got to try it. It was delicious. We had to try it with a piece of real fudge, just to see how it compared. Such a sacrifice. I know. The fudge is on the left and the chocolate cheese is on the right. The cheese had more of a sour taste, while the fudge was more sweet, but both were delicious. Needless to say, this was by far the kids' favorite. "Mo chocate. Mo chocate."
Next week we are trying Havarti cheese (Styder, sadly, we couldn't find Party Havarti). Anyone have a favorite way to eat this cheese? Maybe we will just skip the crackers and go straight to the yumminess!

I haven't done a Wisconsin cheese recipe for several weeks, but this week, with a fridge full of freshly picked strawberries, we decided to try the cheesecake recipe from our Wisconsin cookbook. Yum! How could it not be? My favorite dessert topped with my two favorite fruits. Life is good.

Crust:
2 cups graham cracker crumbs
6 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1/4 cup sugar
Spread a generous amount of softened butter on the bottom and sides of a 9 or 10 inch springform pan (we used a 9x13 pan due to our large selection of cooking utinsels in our summer apartment). Combine crust ingredients and press into the bottom of pan. Bake 10 minutes at 350 degrees. Cool

Filling:
4 eggs, seperated
3 8-ounce packages cream cheese, softened
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Zest and juice of one lemon
Beat egg yolks until light. Add the cream cheese; beat until creamy. Mix in sugar, vanilla, lemon juice and zest. Beat egg whites until stiff; fold into cheese mixture. Pour into shell. Bake 50-60 minutes at 350 degrees, or until edges puff up slightly and are lightlybrowned and center is firm.

Topping:
2 cups sour cream
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
Spread evenly on top of cheesecake. Return to oven and bake an additional 10 minutes. Cool and refrigerate. Makes 12 servings.

10 comments:

Lara Zierke said...

I love a dill flavored havarti on crackers. It's my favorite cracker spread.

Lara Zierke said...

(Can you tell I'm a cheese person?)

Heather - said...

my mouth is literally watering after this post!

Suz said...

Wow- cheese fudge huh? Who would have thought!

byt he way that cheesecake looks YUMMY!

Jamie said...

I kept reading Naruhodo over and over and thinking "is that an ENGLISH word? Because it makes perfect sense to me!" I keep forgetting we speak the same 2nd language! funny! i had no idea they had such strange variety of cheeses!

KaraLynne and Andy said...

hmmmm chocolate cheese - I believe you that is good but I might just have to try for myself before I fully trust that - it sounds so opposite

K Western said...

I haven't posted a while, but it looks like you've been having a lot of fun.
Chocolate cheese! Yummy! I love all your posts on cheeses. You always make such delicious looking food. So much fun!
Good luck with the haircut. It is no fun cutting boys' hair. My son was terrified of the clippers and would cry hysterically as I attempted to give him a haircut. He finally stopped a year ago (at age 4!!).
That is so wonderful to have your parents come for a visit!

Lara Zierke said...

Just a side not on the Classic book thing - I have to say that I I've only read the abridged version of The Count of Monte Cristo. I have the full version and it's fun for me to expand on the shorter version, but I've been reading it for a couple years. I'd suggest starting with the abridged. :)

Mitch said...

Finally got to read the latest cheese update. Wow! It scares me a bit though - like cheesecake. Were chocolate and cheese meant to be mixed? The strawberry whathisname looks like it came out of a recipe book. Did it? Or is this your version?
Love, dad/mitch

Kay Hinton said...

I recognize the plate, so I know it must be your creation. Nice job. It looks delicious. Chocolate cheese! Alleluia, brother! That gets me screamin "MO CHOCATE!!!!!"