Friday, November 6, 2009

Like a Rock



Some of you may remember the frightening night we had during the summer in Wisconsin when I was miraculously awakened with Brielle's coughing and had the presence of mind to realize that she hadn't been sick and went in to check on her and found her body covered in hives and swollen. She was having a severe allegic reaction to some pecans she had eaten that evening. (I found out the next day that my parents, in their family prayer the night before, had felt impressed to specifically pray that Jared and I would have the help we needed to guide and protect Brielle and Nathan. Thank heavens for answered prayers and loving and inspired grandparents.)
Well, we finally got in to see an allergist yesterday and that little girl was like a rock. She let them poke her over and over as they tested to see what she was allergic to. The most amazing part was when they drew her blood to do further tests. Before starting they showed me how to hold her to restrict her movement and had another nurse come into steady her arm and then the phlobotomist drew the blood. Those precautions were not necessary. She watched every single part (despite my efforts to distract her)...finding the vein, inserting the needle, blood filling the tube etc. and she didn't flinch, fuss, cry or complain. NOTHING! She watched with interest and composure (I can't even do that! and didn't. I looked the other way!) The nurses said that in all the time they have worked there less than 10 children have made it through a blood draw without crying and/or losing it. Go Brielle! We are proud of you.
The outcome? No treenuts for her. She is severely allergic to pecans and walnuts.

7 comments:

Shonna said...

What an amazing little girl; way to go Brielley! With that and how interested she is in medical and dental things, she could be a nurse or Dr. or a really brave Mom when she grows up. Sorry to hear about the allergies.

Perfectly Imperfect said...

That made me woozy to READ!!! That girl is going to be a great mom - what with not minding blood and all. I see a lot of SONS in her future! I'm sorry about the allergy. That is hard because you have to watch everything. Will she grow out of it or is it a lifelong thing? I am glad for your parents too - what an amazing story for Brielle to remember all her days. Heavenly Father was watching out for her through her grandparents and parents.

Kristen Mackrory said...

The blood work will give us more information as to whether or not there is a chance she will grow out of the allergy, but the doctor said that usually nut allergies are for life. Poor Brielle...no pecan pie ever. So, so sad!

Michelle said...

She's a dang cute little rock, too. Maybe she'll grow up to do something in the medical profession! That is pretty darn tough. Tell her that her Aunt Michelle is super proud of her. Sheesh. Amazing little girl.

Blake said...

What a trooper! Not many kids can handle that kind of experience with anywhere near that ease. I had a hard enough time getting a little 3-year-old girl to open her mouth today. Go Brielle!

KaraLynne and Andy said...

Brave Brielle! We are sad to hear she is so allegic to something. It can be so dangerous - we have a friend who is allergic to tree nuts and she has to watch even kissing her husband if he has eaten them recently. Im glad you got some answers today though.

Kay Hinton said...

I'm so grateful for allergy tests . . . and benadryl! She sounds a lot like her Aunt Shonna who was always so interested in medical procedures and liked shots. I see nurse or Dr. in her future! PS I LOVE her hair curly.